Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Which model plane to buy?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Lucy Windsor07/08/2014 16:57:20
2 forum posts

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I'm looking to buy a good model aeroplane that is not over the £150 mark for my boyfriend's birthday.

What do people reccommend? Radio controlled?

Thanks,

Lucy

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator07/08/2014 20:21:01
6744 forum posts
191 photos

Hi Lucy & welcome to the forum.....

Ooo that is an interesting question & could be answered in so many ways.

Tell us a bit more about your boyfriend? Has he flown before? Age? What sort of flying do you think he might like to do...indoors or outdoors.....?

I'm sure we can sort you out with a few ideas...

Ernie08/08/2014 08:56:46
2519 forum posts
21 photos

Hi Lucy, You're in the right place,and of course, we'd love to help, so tell us a wee bit more

Would he prefer a model that is ready to fly straight out of the box, or would he like to build from a kit. This might take quite a few weeks, and he'd need some basic tools, and somewhere to make an awful mess.

He could build a powered model, but would need to decide whether it would use an electric motor, or an internal combustion job.

Of course a glider is also a possibility, or maybe one with a small motor, just enough to get it up there.

Does your price include the entire system ie radio,motor, etc

If you buy a copy of RCM&E, you might see something that takes your fancy (some shops offer a good deal withall the bits & pieces) & finally, be careful, it's very, very addictive

ernie

gangster08/08/2014 20:46:19
996 forum posts
17 photos

Hi Lucy. Interesting question which I am sure than if you asked a dozen modellers you would get 12 different answers. My answer would be to go for the Hitec Sky Scout. This comes out at your target price and is complete and ready to go with nothing else to buy. There is a danger that you could buy something and have to pay so much more for motor radio etc. the Sky Scout is robust easy and fun to fly and an ideal trainer. I have been flying for over 35 years and still get so much fun out of a very similar model ( Multiplex Easystar think it's the same model. )Check them on you tube

cymaz08/08/2014 21:01:43
9022 forum posts
1187 photos
Posted by Lucy Windsor on 07/08/2014 16:57:20:

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me.

I'm looking to buy a good model aeroplane that is not over the £150 mark for my boyfriend's birthday.

What do people reccommend? Radio controlled?

Thanks,

Lucy

Silly question,but what does he like ? Can he fly? Does he have radio gear ? Electric or glow?

Mowerman09/08/2014 10:00:20
1547 forum posts
105 photos

Hi Lucy

If your boyfriand is interested in aircraft and aviation in general then a visit to a local model flying club where he could perhaps have a go using Buddy lead (a method of flying a model with two transmitters linked and an experienced flyer able to take over) system also find just how interested he still is. The club members could then help in choice of model.

You can find details of local clubs from BMFA, just google BMFA.

Josip Vrandecic -Mes09/08/2014 13:35:20
2993 forum posts
260 photos

Hello Lucy , welcome and greetings from Adriatic Sea....face 1...it is certain that you will find here the answers to most of your questions...

Regards

Jo

ken anderson.09/08/2014 13:40:52
8554 forum posts
776 photos

hello and welcome from me Lucy-you seem to have disappeared? ..

ken Anderson...ne...1 where is Lucy dept....

KingKade09/08/2014 17:02:42
512 forum posts
22 photos

I hope she hasnt started bidding on ' i think its a wot 4' on ebay?!!!!!

surprise

Lucy Windsor09/08/2014 20:30:55
2 forum posts

Hello all!

Haha no I haven't started bidding, no need to panic!

Sorry for the slow reply, currently on holiday.

Firstly, I don't think he's flown before. He's 20 and a big plane geek! It's run in his family for generations. Outdoors flight would be best.

Secondly, I definitely think he would like to build it from a kit. What is the difference between an electric motor and internal combustion? Sorry for my lack of knowledge here! Are gliders as good and how expensive are they on average? Was my budget a bit too low for a standard kit?

I will check out the Sky Scout, thank you! I will definitely bear that in mind if the kits are too expensive.

Thank you all!

Lucy

cymaz09/08/2014 20:34:13
9022 forum posts
1187 photos

Find a club near to you and visit a few times. Ask questions and take an interest, any club worth it's salt should welcome you with open arms. If they don't, find another.

Ernie10/08/2014 09:26:53
2519 forum posts
21 photos

Hi Lucy,

If he would like to build from a kit, You might be able to find a kit from a company called Flair for a Piper Cub. It is around 5 foot wingspan, and is a model of an american lightplane. It is easy to build, and makes a good model to learn to fly on. There are lots of colour schemes, Bright yellow is common, as is camouflage, as The american army used them during WW2

They are a bit difficult to find, but the forum will probably throw something up

Whether electric or internal combustion power is largely a matter of personal choice. Both would work fine in this model. In my opinion (and there are other views) Electric is probably easier, especially for a modeller with an understanding of electricity, whereas Internal combustion uses a messy fuel, makes a lot of noise, and is much more fun

Your budget is fine for a kit, but remember he will need lots of other bits like a radio control system and an engine

As has been said above, he will probably need to be taught to learn to fly it, and also think about insurance in case he destroys something

Lucky guy

ernie

ken anderson.10/08/2014 09:56:45
8554 forum posts
776 photos

hello Lucy-there's a chance of what you buy-wont be what he wants?-you may waste a lot of dosh......I know you want to surprise him etc......but me-I would give him a gift voucher for one of your local model shops and let him choose wisely after a visit to one of your/his local club site's and a chat to some of the member's......there's lots of good stuff to buy for a beginner but also lots of rubbish...so I would find your nearest friendly club and take him along......come visit ours in the north east......you wont find more friendlier people...well most of them-we also have a few victor meldrew's.....

ken Anderson ne..1 .get Lucy's boy friend flying dept.

Stevo10/08/2014 09:57:05
2699 forum posts
419 photos

Yep - Lucky Guy and he has the envy of many if not all of us on here. wink

I think before making rash decisions on which plane (The Cub is a good thing to build but not learn on IMHO), get him to a club and buy him the membership. Then the choice of what aircraft/radio gear/engine etc become his, guided by those in the know and of course, us lot on here.

Where area do you live in? There is a club finder on the BMFA website that will help and there are some more around that do not belong to the bmfa (like mine).

Don't hesitate to ask anyone on here!

Good luck.

Mowerman10/08/2014 10:07:10
1547 forum posts
105 photos

Another possible aproach would be to find a local club and if you both feel happy with the degree of welcome from the members then you could buy his first years membership (including BMFA of course)

Edited By Mowerman on 10/08/2014 10:07:57

Stevo10/08/2014 10:14:27
2699 forum posts
419 photos

On a different tact, with a kind lady behind the flyer, this makes for a harmonious relationship. <jealous>

Another example would be SWMBO, where one must earn modelling credits, a term invented in a galaxy far, far away, by Plummet if I rememeber.

Such credits are earned, and can be gained by the prospective pilot gardening, doing the DIY, emptying the dishwasher and taking the rubbish out amongst others. Likewise they can be lost, for example watching football, consuming to many sherberts and so forth. Once sufficient credits have been obtained, these can be exchanged for workshop time and trips to the field.

No doubt you will work out a modus operandi. I wish you both all the best.

Off to empty the dishwasher / take the rubbish out / do the ironing....

Ernie11/08/2014 07:46:31
2519 forum posts
21 photos

Hi All, and especially Lucy and Stevo, The Flair cub certainly does make an excellent trainer. At least I learned to fly on one. I even built a second one

It is not truly scale, so it does not have the problems that are often associated with more accurata models

ernie

Jamie sawyer11/08/2014 08:01:58
390 forum posts
99 photos

Hi Lucy, good on you girl lol. I think if my girlfriend bought me a kit to build and she just went and got it without my knowledge, personally I'd be delighted with anything she got but thats down to each individual isn't it. You could always try a Ben Buckle kit. Here is a link to the Falcon which is big and good for orientation. I learnet to fly on this one and its a good build but maybe not the best if your not technically minded. There are a lot of different kits in the Ben Buckle series so just google the name.

**LINK**

Good luck and let us know what you decide to do.

Regards Jamie

Stevo11/08/2014 09:09:39
2699 forum posts
419 photos

Ernie,

I think the Cub as a trainer has mixed reviews. Many like yourself had no problems learning at all,but some have advised that for the total novice pilot that it's not the best choice. While I was on trainers I flew a Cub with no problems however.

Also if an ARTF goes in, then you don't see all your hard work disintegrate into matchwood, which, for the first time, could be demoralising !!

Jamie sawyer11/08/2014 10:18:19
390 forum posts
99 photos

Thats a double edged sword Stevo. You get a massive amount of satisfaction from building your own and the maiden flight. Also if you build your own you have more knowledge and understanding on how to fix it if you do have an accident and lets be honest ......we all do have woopsies lol.

Lucy while he is building the plane ...if that is the route you take make sure he gets guidance on the flying part because he will very quickly get out of his deapth once he has commited to taking off with no lessons. It is very easy at the start to panic and loose your plane to something very hard and unforgiving sad.

I suggest he joins this forum like you have to ask all the silly questions before the mistakes are made. There is a wealth of knowledge and some very professional guys on here who have forgotten more than I have learnt yet in this hobby.

Instead of the plane kit you could buy him the RCM&E magazine subscription for 12 months which you can do on here and then give him money in a card to start him off. The RCM&E magazine comes with a free plane plan every month and is full of reviews of all sorts of different aircraft. There was also a build article guiding the learners through the build process in the last 3 months of it. There is pages and pages of model shops selling aircraft from all over the UK.

Good luck

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us