Search for:  in Thread Title in  

Articles

RCM&E Special Issue preview!

RCM&E Special Issue preview!

in the shops 19 Sep

thunderstreak.keith16/05/2018 22:32:30
276 forum posts
118 photos

ok all, well I will still have 4 o49 in boxes. but i do have a lovely.12 brand new in box. Other than that the mag is complete so I can get on with it. a nice interestin project . will the 12 be big enough do you think?

Hendi Bosman14/06/2018 11:41:56
11 forum posts
2 photos
Hi all. Hope you guys are well. So, in 2015 I started building the Atom, but everything came to a halt after the birth of our twins. Recently, after being stuck at home after an operation, I decided to unpack my building stuff. All that was left to do, was make blades and cover the atom. The blades are getting me under though. Seriously. The three "blanks" weigh 27g, 26.9g and 25.8g. So, wood selection was okay. Off to shape them to profile. Dimensions are 60mm x 450mm. Actually not as difficult as I thought. Then I came to finding the chordwise Cog. And this is where I am stuck. The chordwise CoG is just too far back. Instead of the triangular FG plate I made the revised one from a pdf that I got from another site from Rich H. If I understand correctly, the mounting hole should be 430mm from blade tip, 1mm behind the chord wise Cog. In saying that, I suppose every blades' mounting point should be the same? I don't want to sand down too much more towards the rear of the blades, out of fear for losing profile. The Centre mark of the blades were all within 3mm so obviously my initial sanding was not too bad. Please help?
Hendi Bosman14/06/2018 11:50:12
11 forum posts
2 photos

atom blades.jpg

Martin McIntosh15/06/2018 09:57:56
2485 forum posts
947 photos

I found that by far the best way is to buy the ready made blades. There is very little work required. Other than that, make sure that your L.E.`s are completely flat with no rounding off or you will need to increase the negative packing pieces considerably.

Richard Harris15/06/2018 12:24:17
1919 forum posts
1758 photos

Hendi,

Glad to hear you are back on track with some modelling, it has been the same story with myself. Our daughter was born in 2016 so modelling has been put on the back burner, now she is on her own two feet I have managed to get out to the field once or twice. As for designing and building the urge is starting to come back but time is the limiting factor right now.

Regarding your blades, you have made a good job on their profile and your weights are very close, any chance you could take a photo of where your CG lies please? If it is a mile out there are a few tricks we can use to bring it into a more useable position.

Unfortunately AJ blades went out of business so the Atom blades are no longer available, that said, I am willing to make up sets at cost for anyone who requires a set but would need notice to get materials.

Rich

Edited By Richard Harris on 15/06/2018 12:25:04

Hendi Bosman15/06/2018 12:49:23
11 forum posts
2 photos
Hi Rich. Thanks a lot for your reply. Sadly I am in South Africa so I won't even consider asking you, but I appreciate the offer. Out of frustration I reduced the width of my blades from 60mm to 52mm, which I got from Steve Jones 2's posts on page 7. Even though this did bring the CoG forward slightly, it is still too far back. I will take a photo and put it on. I was so excited about finally finishing my Atom. I will order some more wood as soon as somebody can bring some, as I live in a very small town. Maybe the weight of the spruce was too light compared to that of the balsa?
onetenor25/07/2018 11:41:11
1718 forum posts

Re rolling in to the left> I presume you fly clockwise. Is that so?

onetenor10/08/2018 01:58:18
1718 forum posts

You might find the head you want here---- https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=helicopter+parts&oq=helicopter+&aqs=chrome.2.69i57j69i65j0l4.17509j1j1&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8

Loads on this page

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Gliders Distribution
CML
Expo Tools 14 July
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Overlander
Motion RC
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
What is the main brand of transmitter you use? (2018)
Q: What is the main brand of transmitter you use?

FrSky
 Futaba
 Graupner
 HiTec
 Jeti
 JR
 Multiplex
 Spektrum
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues