Forum sponsored by CML

Flair Baronette

Poser

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
colisace15/08/2014 10:18:57
42 forum posts
3 photos
I am just putting the finishing touches to a Baronette and querying if the wing on the undercarriage is supposed to be fixed or floating. The plans and write up are vague so am hoping for advice from previous builders.
ken anderson.15/08/2014 10:29:48
8226 forum posts
762 photos

hello colisace- I don't know about the wing floating but one of the versions of mounting the undercarriage axle was/is...with rubber bands......to give it a bit of spring.....I only speak of my experience with the magnatilla's...but I expect it will be the same with your baronette.....

ken Anderson...ne..1.... undercarriage dept.

Edited By ken anderson. on 15/08/2014 10:30:20

David Davis15/08/2014 10:46:50
3138 forum posts
525 photos

I didn't fancy having the undercarriage wing changing incidence on my Baronette so I soldered a piece of piano wire to each of the rear undercarriage leg and a small washer to the other end. I let in a piece of plywood into the rear of the undercarriage wing and screwed the wire through the washer into that. That held it firm.

One German squadron, I believe it was Jasta 6, carried out a similar modification to the full-sized ones.

Mine was delightful in the air but a very difficult to steer on the ground.

Best of luck with yours!

baronette in the colours of hans weiss.1..jpgbaronette in the colours of hans weiss. 2..jpg

Bob Cotsford15/08/2014 11:09:04
7578 forum posts
427 photos

Flair used to supply a pair of axle sized brass wheel collets and some strips of brass. The collets are soldered to the brass and the assembly through drilled to slide onto the wheel axle, the brass strips being screwed to the ends of the U/C wing and the collets used to lock the whole lot onto the axle.

That lasted at least a couple of flights before coming loose so I bonded the ends of the wing to the u/c legs with a big wodge of clear silicone. Not neat when you look too closely but very resilient and invisible from a couple of paces (just don't go to Specsavers)

Richard Rogers 215/08/2014 11:20:40
3 forum posts

Hi

I built the Baronette several years ago and fixed the u/c wing for the same reason as David.

One thing I did find, whilst it was great to fly and land, take offs were always a bit scary. The throttle needed to be advanced very gently or a ground loop was guaranteed. Even so, ground steering on take off was very difficult. I carried out the fixed brass tube mod, with the wheels locked to the piano wire axle, which rotated in the tube. This reduced the ground loop to a minimum and improved steering to normal levels. You do need to align to the runway on landing as there is no steering on final run out, but this is a small price to pay.

Best of Luck.

roger graves15/08/2014 12:22:05
150 forum posts

I also had an early one with the collets and brass strip fixings. If using that method then glue the wing in place and make a point of eyebaling the incidence before flight, I found that the bottom wing could also move (warp) and upset things. As has been said ground handling is "interesting",.

Bob Cotsford15/08/2014 12:26:12
7578 forum posts
427 photos

the ground handling gets better with a gyro on rudderwink

colisace15/08/2014 21:37:51
42 forum posts
3 photos

I think some sort of spring arrangement may be best so it can move slightly but stay in the correct plane during flight. Will try to think something up. Also it appears I may need plenty of rudder movement.

Jon - Laser Engines15/08/2014 22:21:56
4157 forum posts
155 photos

I have the flair nieuport and its also a bit of a pig on the ground. I have made a sprung undercarriage for it and it makes the world of difference. its still tricky, but its not bouncing all over the field now.

As for that little wing, I think its supposed to float but personally I would lock it up. When I build mine (the kit is around here somewhere!) I plan to have it fixed

Kevin Fitzharris17/10/2014 10:50:25
1 forum posts

Hi I'm a novice and I'm struggling with how the aileron is connected to the Top Wing on the Flair Baronette. Do you form a hinge ???

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jon - Laser Engines17/10/2014 18:46:19
4157 forum posts
155 photos

if its like the other scouts you are supposed to use the covering material as a hinge. personally I am not a fan of this and on my nieuport I used the cyano type hinges about 1/8 inch below the top edge and added a small bevel to allow movement. its worked a treat

Simon Knight22/07/2018 22:53:51
187 forum posts
365 photos

What happened to your model, how did she do? Did she fly well or did you hold off that maiden?

colisace23/07/2018 08:19:43
42 forum posts
3 photos

My Baronette has been flying for many years now. Converted it to electric, moved the C of G further forward than plan and mixed rudder with ailerons, flies a dream.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
electricwingman 2017
Motion RC
Expo Tools 14 July
CML
Gliders Distribution
Slec
Overlander
Wings & Wheels 2018
Airtek Hobbies
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?
Q: Which part of building a new traditional balsa aeroplane do you enjoy the most?

Research & choosing the model
 Building the fuselage
 Installing the engine and radio systems
 Building the flying surfaces
 Covering/painting/finishing
 All of it!
 None of it. I'd rather someone else did it!
 Other

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us