Forum sponsored by CML

Matt finish on iron on films?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Ed Kershaw15/07/2007 00:55:00
85 forum posts
3 photos
1 articles
Hi, does anyone know how to achieve a matt finish on iron on films, such as solarfilm. I have a Ripmax Spitfire that has a superb matt finish and I would like to replicate it on my own builds. Warbirds just don't look right glossy!
Myron Beaumont15/07/2007 13:28:00
5797 forum posts
51 photos
1200 GRADE
Engine Doctor15/07/2007 19:50:00
2417 forum posts
31 photos
Hi Edward.I believe solarfilm is now available in matt finish
Al Knights16/07/2007 08:42:00
26 forum posts
6 photos
Take some "00" grade steel wool from any motor/DIY store and lightly rub the whole model down with.

Next get hold of some Ronseal matt Clear Vanish (water based) and brush or sray the model. Leave a couple of days to dry and harden off,although the vanish is dry in a short time, its still best to give it a couple of days. You now should have a lovely matt finish. There is a down side which is that due to the nature of solar film "moving" in heat, the vanish in time will start to flake off.
Michael Dearden17/07/2007 20:55:00
136 forum posts
The original Spitfires were cloth covered I believe, so why not use Solartex fabric covering?
Mike Rolls19/07/2007 09:48:00
500 forum posts
22 photos
Michael - et al
The Spitfire was never 'fabric covered' - in the prototype the ailerons, elevators and rudded were fabric covered but eveything else was metal skinned. Metal covered ailerons were introduced on the Mk V and metal elavators on (from memory) late Mk. IXs. By the end of its life the rudder was metal covered as well - certainly on the Mk 21 and perhaps earlir - not sure without checking.

Mike
Michael Dearden19/07/2007 09:58:00
136 forum posts
Thanks for the correctin Mike. Yes, come to think of it many aircraft of that era only had their control surfaces fabric covered. I wonder why?
Regards
StarDancer21/07/2007 17:31:00
3 forum posts
Reason for fabric covered control surfaces?
I cant speak from direct experience (though I am old enough!) but, as a physicist, I suggest the reasons are several - cost, speed of assembly, mass (and therefore inertia), and weight.

Probably the most important were weight and inertia. Reducing both these would enable faster response to manual controls, and less counter-balance required.

Then there is a further matter of quick and cheap repair when holed by lead! Just apply canvas and dope, or whatever.

StarDancer
Steve biplane21/07/2007 19:26:00
85 forum posts
I think you will find the reason for fabric covered control surfaces in a lot of cases was to reduce the inertia of the control surface in order to prevent flutter.
Martin McIntosh21/07/2007 21:03:00
3159 forum posts
1136 photos
The easy and permanent way to get a matt finish on painted Solarfilm is to coat with Prymol, paint with Humbrol enamel or Spectra, then brush on a coat of Tufkote mixed 50/50 gloss/matt. This gives the semi-gloss finish typical of WW2. Anyone know where I can still get Furniglass resin, which is Tufcote available in 500ml cans?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
CADMA
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us