Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Tony Nijhuis 63" Spit

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Shaun K28/11/2007 10:05:00
192 forum posts
38 photos
Thanks Martin, that's great advice. As usual, every little bit we learn sparks off more questions...When you build the main wing structure the bottom spars are pinned down to the building board. Being REALLY keen to build a straight wing (and prepared to spend whatever time required) I also pinned the t.e. of each rib down nicely onto little wedges that allowed me to set the height of the t.e. before gluing in the top spars. That leaves me with a structure that's well and truly pinned down and at this point nice and straight. Lets keep it that way…So, how did you secure the structure to the board in a way that both keeps it straight while the glue dries on the top skin and allows you to easily remove the wing from the board once finished? If I was to skin mine now, all the pins are stuck underneath leaving no way to get the wing off the building board. It's great to hear your Spit is flying well! Shaun K.
Martin McIntosh28/11/2007 12:50:00
3579 forum posts
1231 photos
Hi Shaun, I cut a tapered piece of 1/4" balsa to prop up the te, starting at zero thickness at the root then the height of the tip rib at the other end, steaming this to the shape of the te. Use for building both wing halves. Pin this, the outer edges of the root and tip ribs and spars and the false le. Then remove all internal pins. If you have added most of the shear webs, as you should, the wing will remain straight. Don`t forget that the te shape should be near the final shape to enable you to get at and remove the pins. Make a card template from the plan and draw in the final te shape before you remove it from the plan. MM.
Shaun K29/11/2007 10:50:00
192 forum posts
38 photos

Thanks once again Martin. The way you describe this I read into it that you've built in some washout by having your 1/4" strip tapered to zero thickness at the root rib.

I've built mine so that the t.e. point of all ribs sit at exactly the same height off the building board. I hope this is OK! Time will tell...

Thanks, Shaun K.

kevin zavoda29/11/2007 22:54:00
7 forum posts

Hello!

Can anyone tell me what issue the 63" plan is in for Tonys spit?

California Kevin

kevin zavoda29/11/2007 23:15:00
7 forum posts

I figured it out that the plans are for a smaller version. What site has the 63" plans for sale or can I just enlarge the smaller version? Is it more economical to order the cnc wood or cut my own?

Thanks kevin

Shaun K30/11/2007 04:11:00
192 forum posts
38 photos

Hi Kevin,

The 63" plans are available from myhobbystore.com - see the link down the right hand side of the web page and look for plan RC2041. The build instructions are in the June & July 2007 issues of RCM&E.

As for economy, hand cut is the way I chose to go. Sure it's tedious, but for me to buy the CNC kit with my Aussie dollars, the conversion rates would have seen me paying enough to buy a small 3rd World country. Or a real Spitfire. All jokes aside, at the very least I could get a nice quality ARTF Spitfire for the same price as the CNC kit which offers just the ribs, formers and fuselage sides, but that's avoiding the point of why we build stuff from scratch.  You get my drift...

As the build gets closer to finished I probably will buy the available canopy though.

This is off-topic, I know, but it's difficult for me to really judge pricing and value being in Australia, but this RC flying business looks like it would be a sport of kings for those in the UK - everything appears to be much more expensive than in Oz. Last time I looked there was about 2.45 AUD to the GB Pound, yet I've seen products advertised in the mag that are almost as many pounds as they would cost me in here Aussie dollars! Bearing that in mind I can't ever see myself buying too many CNC kits from the UK.

Shaun K.

kevin zavoda30/11/2007 20:08:00
7 forum posts

Shaun

Thanks for your reply. I know what you meen about the exchange rate!

Is the spit 1/5or 1/6 scale Shaun ?

If Tony is out there do you think I would have any trouble enlarging this plan to 1/5?

Thanks

Kevin

kevin zavoda30/11/2007 20:40:00
7 forum posts
Shaun
kevin zavoda30/11/2007 20:41:00
7 forum posts

Shaun

Are the back issues for the larger plan?

Kevin

Martin McIntosh30/11/2007 21:27:00
3579 forum posts
1231 photos
Kevin, it is about 1/7 scale.
Shaun K01/12/2007 10:51:00
192 forum posts
38 photos

Kevin - yes, the June & July issues cover the build of the 63" version.

Shaun K.

KEITH MARSON07/12/2007 09:19:00
28 forum posts
HI THERE

IS TONY NIJHUIS LOOKING IN,SORRY I HAVE POSTEDTHIS IN SEVERAL PLACES BECAUSE NOW I  HAVE COME TO AGRINDING HAULT.

NEED SOME ADVICE,I AM IN THE PROCESS OF BUILDING YOUR SPITFIRE 63" WING SPAN BUT HAVE COME ACROSS A PROBLEM WITH THE WHEELS,I HAVE 3.25" OR 83mm IN NEW TERMS PROBLEM IS THEY DO NOT RECESS INTO THE WING CAVITY,I HAVE THE CORRECT DIAMETER THE PROBLEM BEING THE ACTUAL DEPTH INSIDE  THE WING.THE WHEEL HAS A WIDTH/DEPTH OF 30mm.I AM USING THE UNITRACTS LEGS

QUESTION DO WHEELS COME IN VARIOUS DEPTHS OR HAVE I MADE A MONUMENTAL COCK UP THAT I HAVE NOT SPOTTED AND NEED TO SCRAP AND START AGAIN.I HAVE DOUBLE CHECKED ALL THE WING RIBS  AND THEY ARE OF THE CORRECT SIZE TO THE DRAWING.

HELP NEEDED URGENTLY.

THANKS KEITH

Tim Mackey07/12/2007 09:40:00
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles
Keith - stop SHOUTING !
Martin McIntosh07/12/2007 22:29:00
3579 forum posts
1231 photos

Hi Keith, do not worry. I used Robart scale wheels 3 1/2" dia which are 27.5mm thick and they JUST fit. I have also fitted wheel doors. If you can get the Robart 3 1/4" they should, I immagine, be even thinner. There are plenty of wheels available which are much slimmer still but may not look the part. Have you angled the retract units correctly as shown on the plan? See RCME April 2001 (I think) to see how to do it properly.

KEITH MARSON08/12/2007 15:36:00
28 forum posts

HI MARTIN

THANKS FOR THE INFO I AM NOW ATTEMPTING TO FIND ALTERNATIVE SUPPLIERS OF WHEELS HERE IN SPAIN WHERE I LIVE,UNFORTUNATELY MOST THEM DO NOT CARRY WHEELS OF THIS SIZE AND WILL STOCK ONE MANUFACTURE,HENCE WHY I DID NOT KNOW ABOUT VARYING DEPTHS,YOU DID NOT SAY,BUT DID YOU USE UNITRACTS LANDING GEAR?

I AM ASSUMING THE I HAVE ANGLED THE RETRACTS CORRECTLY THAT IS OF COURSE GOING BY THE PLANS.THEY SEEM TO FIT PERFECTLY AND FALL INTO PLACE NICELY IT IS ONLY WHEN THE WHEELS ARE ATTACHED THE PROBLEM ARISES.

MAYBE UNITRACTS HAVE SUPPLIED THE WRONG DIAMETRE LEGS BUT I DID SPECIFY WHAT THEY WERE TO BE USED FOR AND THEY NEW EXACTLY WHICH ONES WERE REQUIRED

ONCE THANKS

Martin McIntosh08/12/2007 21:05:00
3579 forum posts
1231 photos
Keith, I am not familiar with Unitracts and prefer the cheapo (£18.99) units from say Inwood Model Supplies, from which I also bought the wheels. They are a mail order company. I drilled them out to take 6SWG legs with no coil spring at all and they have proven to be very reliable. I have also fitted dummy oleo legs from aluminium tubing. As long as your leg outer surface is level with or below the wing surface you should have no problem. Did you manage to locate the mag. article mentioned? The legs should be raked back 21deg. on the surface of the wing, 16deg. forward when extended, then bent back 2 1/2deg. This will make the wheel sit in the well when set parallel in the extended position. Not easy to do but well worth the effort.
Tim Mackey08/12/2007 21:41:00
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

Keith, you really must learn where the caps lock key is on your keyboard.

Using CAPITALS is considered shouting when using electronic mail / typing / forums etc.

KEITH MARSON09/12/2007 08:45:00
28 forum posts

Timbo thankyou for the info regarding typing but if how to type was the question asked i would have looked for an on line typing school, if you have anything constructive to say with regard to my particular question then bring it on otherwise BACK OFF.

KEITH MARSON09/12/2007 08:51:00
28 forum posts

Martin thanks again.No i have not located said article still searching along with suppliers of other wheels,as isaid the actual legs seem to be sitting perfctly it is when the wheels come into play the cavity just is not large enough behind the leg only 24mm max at a push.I will still keep searching for the article though.Cheers.

Tim Mackey09/12/2007 09:48:00
20920 forum posts
304 photos
15 articles

Keith, there is no need to take such an aggressive attitude, after all, I did point out the error in your posting once before, as well as on your other thread in a different section ( which incidentally is known as "cross posting" and on all occasions these were accompanied by a "winkie" Icon. This, as you obviously are so unaware of Internet Forum protocol, signifies a "friendly and somewhat jovial tone".

Shouting "back off"  is hardly an appropriate response.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!