Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

Tony Nijhuis 63" Spit

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andy Musgrove14/10/2008 07:04:00
19 forum posts

Hi Harry

i did approach Tony regarding fitting the 70 and he thought the additional weight wouldnt be a problem, but just to be careful on the throttle! i wouldnt have thought the additional lenght would be a major problem either - i have not actually started mine yet so i am glad you brought it up. good luck.

Harry Evans17/10/2008 13:04:00
10 forum posts

Thanks to all for their advice. Great to know there is help out there.

H

Shaun K06/02/2009 13:01:59
192 forum posts
38 photos
Hi all, if anyone's still listening on this thread, after an unwanted 6 month break from my Spifire build I have a silly question. Again...

I've bought the standard white plastic Du-Bro control horns which look great for an aileron whose leading edge is anything less than 12mm thick and I'm interested to know how others have fitted the aieron horns to the quite thick (around 17mm) leading edge of the aileron.

Should I put the Du-bro plastic horns in the spares box and get some other type?

Just use longer screws than those supplied?

Scrap the machine screws and use small wood screws?

Dig a square hole into the aileron to bed the horn and back plate into?

Advice would be appreciated.
Martin McIntosh13/02/2009 22:36:41
3579 forum posts
1231 photos
Shaun, do as I do. Chuck the commercial plastic horns and make your own to any shape you wish from 1/16" epoxy glass printed circuit board ( from Maplins). Epoxy into place after drilling several small holes to grab the glue. Only use ball links as a quick link will soon wear out the hole.
Shaun K17/02/2009 14:17:12
192 forum posts
38 photos
Thanks Martin, once again with great ideas.

By the time you had replied I'd already bought another Du-Bro adjustable horn and I'm sure it will do the job just fine.  It's really just a long screw with some extra bits attached.

Finally I can now say that my contruction stage is complete and I'm ready to move onto the covering and painting. Woohoo!!!

Harry Evans asked some time ago about fitting an OS70 and needing to add one inch to the nose length. For the sake of attempting to avoid adding lead I also aded 30mm to the length of the cowl, mounted the ASP .61 30mm further forward on the end of a 60-120 size engine mount and used 5x 3800mAh sub-C cells behind the firewall for the flight pack. A complete fitout of all parts prior to covering sees the CoG sit on the front edge of Tony's suggsted range with no added lead. That made me one very happy camper.

Here's a few pics of my progress. The keen eyed readers will notice a few small changes to a mk VIII fin/rudder and a more scale stab and elevator. I don't think the extra 30mm in the nose makes it look stretched. Hopefully it won't affect the flight characteristics too much.

Don't you just love that outline! I know I do...   I might need to be a bit conservative with control throws with the extra area on those elevators too.
Shaun K.

Dave S.17/02/2009 14:21:40
213 forum posts
20 photos
Undressed spitfire, what a lovely curvy shape . Looks a nice piece of work, well done.
Martin McIntosh17/02/2009 21:16:18
3579 forum posts
1231 photos

Shaun, that looks great. You will welcome the extra length to get the cg correct, but I fear that the covering and paint will send it a long way back. I use a 1200 NiCad under the tank and a few ounces of lead in the nose with a YS63 up front, but I do build my tail ends very light. I covered mine in silver Solarfilm which is much easier to apply than the normal solid colours because it is thicker, then applied Humbrol enamel by brush, finally coating with 50/50 mixed Tufcote gloss/matt. Use plenty of elevator throw initially on take off. Good luck.

Hugh Coleman19/05/2009 10:27:50
518 forum posts
11 photos
Hi all.  I just ordered the plans for this baby through "My Hobby Store".  Has anybody tried to build it with built up tail surfaces yet rather than the flat sheet ones?  Also, What does every body think of changing the wing attachment slightly and replicating the Gull Wing on the underside of the Fuse and Wing joint?
I guess that this would pull along just as well behind a 50 size two stroke?  Although a 60 size 4 stroke is going to sound soooo much better.

Cheers,

Hugh
Martin McIntosh19/05/2009 22:54:26
3579 forum posts
1231 photos
Hi Hugh, my last post seems to have gone awol or maybe under another heading, but I made my 62" Spit with built up tail and control surfaces. This still requires a bit of lead up front but I do have two metal gear retract servos behind the wing centre. Will fly fine on a YS 53 turning a 13x5 wood but is better on a YS 63 turning a 11.5 x6 three blader. Pleeeeease don`t use a two stroke!
Hugh Coleman19/05/2009 23:31:54
518 forum posts
11 photos
Thanks Martin.
Regarding 2 strokes, I am just tossing ideas around.  There are not a lot of 60 size 4 strokes around?  I have an OS 52 Surpass that I think might struggle.

The Hurricane is going to go first however, as I think it will hold it's own on the flight line a bit more than yet another Spit, even a scratch built one.  I get the impression that the wing loading on the Hurri might be a tad better too, which will suit my stage of flying ability.

Cheers,

Hugh
Martin McIntosh19/05/2009 23:58:44
3579 forum posts
1231 photos
The OS 52 would not even stand a chance unless you have a very long patch. Starting to think about the Hurri myself. Probably easier to fly.
Martin.
Sandy Taylor14/08/2009 10:34:45
14 forum posts
14 photos
Hi all,
I've just finished making Tony's Hurricane, and she flies beautifully!  Now awaiting the plans for the Spitfire.   Can anyone provide a list of the wood that is needed to build it?  I just want to get a head start!  Its going to be electric too - anyone built electric?
Trex700e22/11/2009 19:18:39
102 forum posts
18 photos
I too am building the 63" spitfire and was wondering if i could find a build thread

No luck so far. can anyone help
Shaun K23/11/2009 02:13:23
192 forum posts
38 photos
Hi Will,

I don't know of any specific build thread, but this thread is full of a wealth of information that's helped me enormously.

It's long, as you can see we're on page 7 now, but if you take the time to read through there really is some gold in there.

Shaun K.
Hugh Coleman23/11/2009 10:42:23
518 forum posts
11 photos
Hi Will, Try here.

Cheers,

Hugh
Trex700e23/11/2009 17:30:31
102 forum posts
18 photos
Thanks all,

Yeah this thread has yielded some good results and the build thread is also very good thanks
Hugh Coleman10/01/2010 11:20:54
518 forum posts
11 photos
Well, being half way through the TN Hurricane, and having almost completely rebuilt my crashed Seagull PT-19 as well as assembling the Modeltec Dragon Lady I bought myself for christmas, I suddenly got the urge to start on the TN Spit.

I started cutting balsa an lightply on Thursday night.

I have the fuselage ready to install the upper and lower deckings and have one wing framed up and ready to sheet.

I cannot believe how quickly this goes together.

I have an ASP 61 Four stroke on order and a set of servo-less electronic retracts also coming.

It was watching the video that did it, I am sure of it...

Cheers,

Hugh

Edited By Hugh Coleman on 10/01/2010 11:21:37

Hugh Coleman12/01/2010 10:47:53
518 forum posts
11 photos
My digital servo-less retacts arrived today.  Not bad, as I only ordered them on Friday night.

They fit beautifully.  The sprung oleos are just the right length on the longest setting.

Cheers,

Hugh
Trex700e17/01/2010 09:05:38
102 forum posts
18 photos
can you tell me what make your retracts are and where you got them from?

I am also looking for a set of retracts.

thanks,
Will
Hugh Coleman17/01/2010 10:38:52
518 forum posts
11 photos
Sure,

Cheers,

Hugh

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!