Forum sponsored by CML

Tony Nijhuis 63" Spit

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Trex700e17/01/2010 16:03:11
102 forum posts
18 photos
thanks,

do you know if they can support the spitfires full weight?
Hugh Coleman17/01/2010 19:58:39
518 forum posts
11 photos
I certainly hope that they can!  My money is wasted otherwise!

Cheers,

Hugh
Trex700e16/02/2010 12:23:13
102 forum posts
18 photos
Hi,

Have you been able to test the retracts? what do you think of the quality?

I hear that E-flite are bringing out some 60 size servoless retracts soon. I am hoping to use the DSR-40 ones until the E-flite ones are out.

thanks,
Will
Hugh Coleman17/02/2010 20:07:14
518 forum posts
11 photos
Hi Will,

I have the retracts in situ (Needed to fit them before skinning the wing underside), but have not had an opportunity to test them since fitting as I have not yet got to the stage where I can cut the skinning away for the wheel wells.

I did do a test run before fitting.  They have a very scale like speed action and there is a slight asymetry between the two which should porduce a nice scale effect too.

I will have to strengthen the springs in the Oleos.  I think that as supplied, they are way to weak... Definitly will bottom out on anything but a perfect landing.

Aside from that, I am committed to at least giving them a go now, so wish me luck!

Cheers,

Hugh
Hugh P24/02/2010 19:08:17
53 forum posts
80 photos
Hi all
I'm new to this group.
Iwas wondering if any one has a list of the 'WoodPack' after buying the Lysander WoodPack I find that you can buy the wood direct from SLEC at considerably less than buying it from MyHobbyStore.  I aim to get the CNC pack to save the hasttle of cutting out ribs ect.
The plan looks great and from reading the thread my Laser 70 will fit a treat ( with slightly longer cowl).
Thanks
Hugh 2
Trex700e24/02/2010 20:24:05
102 forum posts
18 photos
Huge C,

Please keep me updated on the retracts. I am just getting to this stage and really would like to use servoless. i think eflite have some 60 size one out soon i may give them a go

Huge P,

Although i got the wood pack (I could tell you what it contained but i know i would forget something) it goes along the lines of 14x 2.4mm sheets 2x 6mm 2x 9mm 1x 12mm and some obechi wing spares ( i think 5mmx5mm). I was lucky and managed to get Tony Nijhuis him self to serve me at the slec UK tent so he was able to add wood for bits that might require extra (in case of mistakes) and so far i can tell you that i need some more 12mm.

but if i were you i would talk to Ian at Slec UK and he can prepare you a wood pack all for you but i would add some extra wood (mainly the 2.4mm sheeting and 12mm sheet).

thanks,
Will
Hugh Coleman25/02/2010 10:57:43
518 forum posts
11 photos
Hugh2,
I cut everything from the plans... Took me a couple of evenings... And I feel very smug about it...

Mind you, I bought out two stores worth of Balsa sheeting for the wing skins...  Didn't want to run short.

Cheers,

Hugh
Hugh P26/02/2010 21:39:57
53 forum posts
80 photos
Thanks guys, I think I will buy the wood and cut it to make a 'kit' . I know there are some big ribs to cut, but the CNC wood pack @ £70 for 'Ribs & Formers' only seems very over priced to me.

HughP
Trex700e01/03/2010 20:54:41
102 forum posts
18 photos
well remember that all of the fuselage sides are included in the CNC pack along with the sheet tail surfaces. All you have to do is add the decking so I think that the CNC is well worth it. And you get computer aided precision. There is yet a part that i have come across that is incorrect. 
Shaun K03/03/2010 13:42:35
192 forum posts
38 photos
Hi all,

For those of you that have struggled to find a decent captain for the cockpit of your Spitfire, like I did for a long time, I'd like to point out an option. I found plenty of options for 1/6 scale but they are all too large for this 'plane and I couldn't find a thing in 1/7 scale that suited.

Following a brief ad in the RCM&E mag, I checked out the stately gentleman below from Giant Cod. From now on we will call him Clive.

Clive is quoted as being 1/6 but I think he's a little closer to 1/7 scale. He fits perfectly in the office of the 62" Nijhuis Spit - at least to my eyes he is just the right size.

Moreover, from clicking on the Checkout button on the Giant Cod site to arrival in my mailbox IN AUSTRALIA was only 7 days.

I'm super-impressed with both Clive and Giant Cod.

Before anyone asks, no I'm not on the take, a relative or agent, just happy to share a case of good service.

Shaun K.

Edited By Shaun K on 03/03/2010 13:44:58

Edited By Shaun K on 03/03/2010 13:47:22

Shaun K05/04/2010 14:56:11
192 forum posts
38 photos
Has this been the world's slowest build? Probably not, but it sure feels like it...

I'm getting close now. Just finished spraying on the camo' this afternoon. The pics show the underside still masked, but it's all grey underneath...

Shaun K28/06/2010 15:13:47
192 forum posts
38 photos
Hi all,

For those who've built and flown the Tony Nijhuis spit, I'd love to know the general consensus on the CoG.

I know I shouldn't question Mr Nijhuis, but did the CoG position marked on the plan work out well for your build?

Almost 3 years to get there, but here it is (with apologies for the dodgy, low-res photo from a phone).

It's all dressed up in semi-scale livery of Australian Ace Clive Caldwell.

Trex700e11/07/2010 08:37:02
102 forum posts
18 photos
WOW That looks absolutly amazing! I have never seen one quite so scale looking, apart from Tony's model. well done.

Can you tell me where you got that spinner from? I am looking for a scale spinner to use
Shaun K11/07/2010 11:12:53
192 forum posts
38 photos
Thanks for the very kind comments Will.

The spinner is actually just a standard 3" Du-Bro plastic one from the hobby shop. I was just lucky that the colour scheme I wanted to replicate used a white spinner and it looks like a pretty good profile to me.

Shaun.

Trex700e11/07/2010 15:37:29
102 forum posts
18 photos
ahhhh, I also bought a plastic one from the local model shop but it is quite short and fat which isnt so scale, but the diffrence is hardly noticeable in the air, I just wanted it for the ground.

I am thinking of a scale prop as well, again just for the ground display.

Let me know on how the flying goes
Hugh P24/07/2010 12:05:46
53 forum posts
80 photos
All
With regards to the U/C,
I know it has been racked forward to help with the nose tipping over, but are there any other vices due to the narrow width. When I fly the Spit in Phonix Flt Sim I often get a rocking from one main wheel to the other on landing, just wondering if the TN Spit does the same. I havn't brought the plan/pack yet so it not to late back out, but I do need somthing for my Laser 70 and this Spit seems a good way to go.
Regards
HughP
Trex700e24/07/2010 21:24:43
102 forum posts
18 photos
Many say that this model is a real treat to fly and i guess this means that landings are not too challenging. Remeber landing will be faster than your average ARTF or sport model because it is a warbird. I also use Phoenix simulator but am appauled at how the scale aircraft fly! they fly like pigs and is not very good for judging how a real plane will handle, although i suppose if you can fly the warbirds in Phoenix you can fly just about anything!

why not go electric on your model! no more silencers sticking out the cowl! and not much noise! the end result is a nice scale, quite and nice flying aircraft that you dont need to clean after you fly.
Hugh P26/07/2010 20:05:25
53 forum posts
80 photos
Will F
I guess there are plenty of Warbirds with a narrow gait, so I think it's a case of 'go for it'.
The Laser 70 is sitting there just begging to be used.
Phoenix is great but as you say Sims can never really emulate the model.
HughP
Hugh Coleman27/07/2010 22:06:49
518 forum posts
11 photos
Go the Laser 70!  I would if I had one.

Cheers,

Hugh
Trex700e03/08/2010 16:15:53
102 forum posts
18 photos
Hi, What is every ones AUW??

Mine is 7.7lb! does anyone have an AUW over this? will the spit still fly alright like this??

thanks,
WIll

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
electricwingman 2017
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
NEW POLL - has the pandemic altered your event safety perceptions?
Q: Has the covid pandemic deterred you from attending shows and events in 2021?

No, I'll be attending just as many as I usually do
 No, but I'll choose my event with greater care
 Yes, I'll attend fewer events going forward
 Yes, I wont attend any where previously I have

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!