Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

The Bushwhacker build thread

Bushwacker builders unite and share your experiences

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Allan Jordan26/07/2007 22:25:00
495 forum posts
Hi David, Would it be possible to have a thread dedicated to the building of Bushwacker( if only for the duration of the build articles)? It would enable those building or contemplating to start building the chance to exchange ideas and highlight any problems encounted? Allan J...TTFN
David Ashby - Moderator27/07/2007 06:36:00
11011 forum posts
1714 photos
615 articles
You've just started one Allan!, I've tweaked the title. Are you building one yourself?

David.
Allan Jordan31/07/2007 13:13:00
495 forum posts
Hi David, Yes I'm building one ,progress is I'm afraid rather slow at the moment,but I'll soon catch up.Regards Allan J..TTFN
Chris Smith 207/08/2007 17:16:00
12 forum posts
Hi All,
I am new to aero modeling and am currently learning to fly with my local club. It seems to take longer when you are 60+ !!!!!
I have also just started to build the Bushwacker and could do with some advise. Sorry if the answer to this query is obvious.
My problem is with the location of the tailplane seat. In the write up that Alex gives he mentions the glueing of the tailplane seat and if you look at the photo of the rear of the fuselarge it would appear to be a separate piece of longeron glued beetween the final upright balsa stretcher and stern post.HOWEVER if you look at the drawing the bottom longeron extends in an unbroken line throught to the stern post. What am I doing wrong?
Also....should the final article not have been in this months mag.
Thanks to all.
Chris
David Ashby - Moderator07/08/2007 19:15:00
11011 forum posts
1714 photos
615 articles
Hi Chris

I'll answer part 2 first, yes there has been a gap of a month, another installment will follow in the next issue. Sorry about the gap,,,production probs!

Unless the seat is flush with the fuselage I can't see one on the plan. I'll speak to Alex although I can't see the need for one - will stand corrected by others..:-)

David.

David Ashby - Moderator08/08/2007 08:01:00
11011 forum posts
1714 photos
615 articles
Chris, Had a word with Alex, there's no tail seat as such, the tail just sits on the back-end - the flat fuselage giving enough area for fixing. Nothing stopping you making a seat if you wish of course.

David.
Allan Jordan09/08/2007 07:51:00
495 forum posts
Hi Chris, I hate to say this but when Mr. Ashby and Mr. Whittaker tell you that there is no extra support for the tailplane they are telling you "porkies". If you take a look at page99 in RCME for July 2007 you will see that there is a support, check the second to last paragraph,the last sentence reads." Cut some 1/16th. balsa sheet to cover and re-inforce the joint and tidy up the stern post area" Does this helpyou? Iv'e fitted my fuz. with the support to be on the safe side..Regards Allan J.. Ps. I wonder what Mr. Ashby will say when he reads this? TTFN
David Ashby - Moderator09/08/2007 08:16:00
11011 forum posts
1714 photos
615 articles
Not a lot Allan, call me David by the way ;-) ... I asked Alex himself - but I think there's some confusion here though as I think I've misunderstood Chris's question here, I was working along the lines of the actual seat itself being extended beyond the fus' to give the stab' something bigger to sit on, Sorry Chris.

David.
Chris Smith 209/08/2007 14:28:00
12 forum posts
Hi Alan/David,
Now I am confused...not that it takes much there days!!!
Alan.......You are right. The picture on page 99 and the comment on the tailplane seat suggest a SEPARATE seat. The picture illustrates it and the article makes reference to it.
David......The drawing does not seem to mirror the instruction in the article. Please help a novice !!!!
Where on the drawing is the tailplane seat? I am looking at it now and it just seems to sit on the bottom longeron.
Can't wait for this reply
All the best and thanks again
Chris
Allan Jordan11/08/2007 09:09:00
495 forum posts
Hi Chris. There is no drawing of the re-inforcing panel,I just laid a piece of 1/16 balsa sheet over the tail end and drew around it. Take it right up to the tail skid mounting plate. I've been quite naughty as I have replaced the skid with a nice tailwheel. Hope this helps you. All the best with your Bushwacker. Allan J..TTFN
Chris Smith 211/08/2007 12:13:00
12 forum posts
Thanks Allan....Maybe we can swap pictures when the build is complete.
All the best.
Chris
Allan Jordan13/08/2007 18:33:00
495 forum posts
Hi Chris, I've been in the workshop today working on the fuselage and I noticed that the tank bay is quite large. I decided to make the tank bay cover and the windscreen in one piece to give better access,I also considered putting the throttle servo behind the tank as there would appear to be ample space.All the best Allan J..TTFN
PS. Haven't managed to work out how to put photos and sketches on the forum yet.AJ.
Chris Smith 213/08/2007 20:39:00
12 forum posts
Hi Allan,
You are well ahead of me. I have been putting in so much time "trying" to learn to fly that the model has suffered. So has the garden.......as my wife tells me.
I will put pictures on the forum when I get there. Many thanks for the info and please keep me updated.
All the best.
Chris
Allan Jordan14/08/2007 11:06:00
495 forum posts
Morning Chris, Glad I was able to assist you! By the way age in this hobby is not importantI'm 71 and a bit( July this year). If you do get stuck you can always e-mail me. I check my my e-mails twice a day so I should be able to help , by the way which part of the world are you located? Regards Allan J...TTFN./
PS> Do you have a SLEC Fuselage Jig?
Chris Smith 214/08/2007 16:40:00
12 forum posts
Hi Allan,
I live in the North East near Darlington. Happy Birthday for July by the way.
No I do not have a jig yet. It's a case of finding room. I'm into computers in a big way and have pinched some space in the comp room. I built my wife a greenhouse which is attached to the house some years ago. It does not get used much now so I am in the process of converting it into a model shop. It's half brick so it should make a good work area.
All the best.
Chris
Allan Jordan14/08/2007 17:42:00
495 forum posts
Hi Chris, As you are into computers in a big way alolow me to give you a little tip. Copy the build insts. and make up a loose leaf file for them, they then become w/shop drawings. I went mad and laminated mine to keep them clean.If I tried to take over the greenhouse that I built for my wife I doubt very much that I would be able write this!
Anyway keep up the Bushwacker building, re. Fuselage Jig I think the only way you will get one will mail order from SLEC. Do you know how to contact them? If you don't let me know and I will dig out the address for you. All the best Allan J..TTFN
Malcolm Fisher14/08/2007 21:50:00
643 forum posts
7 photos
Chris, If you do manage to get a SLEC building jig, I would advise using something more substantial than the suggested Melamine faced chipboard for the base.

Blockboard, or better still ply at least 3/4" thick would be better.

If you do use chipboard, screw it to some substantial pieces of timber to help keep it straight.

I also sourced some extra captive nuts so that I could fasten the brackets to any of the possible locations, and even considered fabricating more brackets - still on the "Round tooit" pile...
Peter Burry15/08/2007 23:18:00
23 forum posts
Here's another oldtimer (76) making a Bushwhacker. Last time I made an RC model it used Galloping Ghost (and the first time was before transistors were invented).

Mine is now virtually finished, I've just got to put the framing on the "windscreen" with go-faster tape, then fasten all the bits inside. I've had them in before, but took them out while I finished off the covering. I'm using an OS40 4-stroke and the new Futaba 2.4 GHz set.

Incidentally, one of the requirements of the set is that the two antennae are mounted at right-angles. I wondered how to do that while retaining an ability to remove the set, and ended up by sticking two pieces of nylon tube (snake outer) to the side wall of the fuselage. One slopes at 45 deg forward, the other at 45 deg back. When putting the radio in I just slide the antennae down into the tubes; no other fixing required.

Like any other old-time builder, I couldn't resist making some minor changes. I've made a 3-section wing, with the central portion flat and dihedral on the outer sections only. I reckon that there is little restoring moment from the central portion, and it puts less strain on the dihedral braces.

Incidentally, in the late 40s there was an organisation known as the Low Speed Aerodynamics Research Association (LSARA). It was run by some of the people at the Royal Aircraft Establishment, and looked at low Reynolds Number aerodynamics and model techniques. Does anyone know what happened to it?

Allan Jordan16/08/2007 16:22:00
495 forum posts
Hi Malcolm, I used 5'8 Melamine board but I fitted hefty strakes unjderneath length wise, Haven't had ant problems yet{ I had mine 10 years} By the way I also had to buy extra nuts, bolts and brkts.Can't understand why I've got 88 holes in my jig but only 56 of the bits to hold a job.Unusual for SLEC to do this I think.Regards Allan J..TTFN
Chris Smith 216/08/2007 17:28:00
12 forum posts
Hi All, This is a request for assistance from a novice.
I am building the Bushwhacker as you can see from previous posts. Why do I need to secure the undercarriage via the dowels and elastic bands. Can I not just epoxy the undercarriage support to the fuselage thus doing away with the elastic bands and dowels. Or have I read it wrong !!!! Are the bands and dowels just additional support.
Thanks to all.
Chris

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Latest Forum Posts
Support Our Partners
Slec
CML
Sussex Model Centre
electricwingman 2017
Sarik
Advertise With Us
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E!