By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

A real beginner.

And I thought model boats were hard work !

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Countryboy18/09/2014 21:38:46
116 forum posts
30 photos

Hi all, my name is Mike and I am an alcoholic oops, wrong forum ! Try again

Hi all, my name is mike and I am a total novice as far as model aeroplanes are concerned. I have built some boat kits and some scratch built so I know my way round a hammer and cross cut saw.

I have just taken delivery of a Ben Buckle kit and am thinking " Maybe this was a mistake !! " I can't make head nor tail of the plans and none of the parts are numbered. Still, I suppose that is all part of the challenge.

Martyn K19/09/2014 14:09:15
5041 forum posts
3677 photos

Hi Mike

Welcome to AA Alcoholics Anonymous - sorry Aeromodellers Anonymous.

This is a great friendly forum and you will get lots of help here. Best thing though, break the proverbial Elephant that you think you have down to bite sized chunks and ask a few questions so we can understand what is stopping you from progressing - we'll be happy to help and get you started.

A bit of background about you would be good, where are you based etc?

Best wishes

Martyn

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator19/09/2014 14:20:42
6744 forum posts
191 photos

Welcome from me Mike.....teeth 2

A Ben Buckle kit will be what we would call a "Traditional" build.....longerons, formers etc. Take a look at some of the build blogs in the Vintage section.....these might provide the initial inspiration you're looking for....

As Martin says post back with lots of questions...we pride ourselves on being a Friendly Forum & remember that the only daft question is the one you don't ask.....

Welcome to a great hobby....wink 2

John F19/09/2014 14:40:28
1316 forum posts
51 photos

Howdy mike and welcome.

The plans are a language of their own but have a long, long look at how a section is built, a wing, for example and see if you can work out what size of part you're looking for. You'll probably find as soon as you understand the size and length of a part you can find it easier in the box.

Reading a plan is not easy at first but it will come.

If parts are pre-cut you could probably try the jigsaw approach too, laying over the plan to give you an idea where they go.

Dave Hopkin19/09/2014 14:54:03
3672 forum posts
294 photos

Hi Mike, As I too have a dark past in model boats, just think of the fuselage as a sort of plank of frame hull, but using Film as the planks! The Gunwales and chine beam are the longerons and the formers are the hull lines translated into balsa/ply.....

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator19/09/2014 15:29:22
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

Hi Mike - welcome on board. I suggest you stick the name of the Ben Buckle kit you have bought into the search box at the top of the page and have a little look-see if anyone on here has already built one. If so there may be a build blog with lots of pictures that will help.

I agree totally with John, plans can seem a bit daunting at first, but it does get easier. Although even with years of experience you can still find yourself staring at some part scratching your head thinking "that seems to be impossible to build"!

Have you thought about maybe buying an ARTF trainer to be learning to fly on whilst you build your kit? Most Ben Buckle planes are easy to fly - but it would still be nice maybe to have a few hours "stick time" under your belt before you maiden a model you will have spent many hours lovingly constructing.

BEB

Countryboy19/09/2014 18:27:25
116 forum posts
30 photos

Martin/ John/ Steve/ Dave/ Biggles senior/ Uncle Tom etc.

Now that is what I call a welcome, thanks for having me. You may all change your minds when I have been around a while.

About me ? Well I had to retire early due to ill health which is also why I can't hump the boats about any more. I am now 65 and in my 10th year of retirement. I love saying that coz the docs said I would only make 4 years. What do they know ???? I live in rural Lincolnshire near Bourne and have contacted a local club " Bournestormers" as a first step. They seem a friendly bunch.

My first attempt at building a flying machine ( or not ) is Ben Buckles Standard Buccaneer. Most of it seems fairly straightforward but not simple, I wouldn't want it to be too easy. There are a few building notes on the plans that appear to have been written in Korean, translated into Hindi, then into Afrikans and lastly back into Norwegian before a computer spewed them out in something it calls English. This was my problem. Not being a shrinking violet, I got on the dog to Colin Buckle and had a chat. Within a half hour he had put me in the right direction having first read the aforesaid notes and agreed that they were a " A LITTLE CONFUSING ".

I am sure that with a bit of guidance where needed from members of this forum, I will survive the build process, but probably not unscathed !! I was hoping to get this done in a couple of weeks but that plan has joined the parrot. An ARTF or RTF seems like a good move, I can always sell the remains afterwards.

Now the first question, What is the best adhesive to use when joining balsa ? I am unable to use anything that is too fumey ( is that a word ?? )

Second question. I intend to fly electric and was wondering how to calculate the size of brushless required to replace a given capacity of compression ignition engine ? ( What I used to call diesel )

Once again, thanks for the welcome !

Mike

should I try this for now ?   https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=28383

Edited By Countryboy on 19/09/2014 18:30:03

Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator19/09/2014 18:37:05
15748 forum posts
1460 photos

If you have chest problems avoid CA (superglue) it can get a bit fumey. Some folks still use Balsa Cement - nowt wrong with that - but again it can be a bit fumey.

I'd suggest either PVA (white wood glue) or slightly better Aliphatic resin - so called yellow wood glue. The only advantage of the latter is that it sands better. Both are pretty well odour free.

Re the electric power - I don't know power set up off the top of my head for that model - someone might do - so let's start with do you know what the all up weight is likely to come out at?

BEB

cymaz19/09/2014 18:38:26
9022 forum posts
1187 photos

Good fellow on searching out a club. They may have someone who lives close to you that might give you a hand with the build or take the plans along and I bet you will be put on the right path.

Dave Hopkin19/09/2014 19:09:24
3672 forum posts
294 photos

The Standard Buc is rated for .25 - .35 2 stroke , .30 - .40 4 stroke

So your looking for a motor with a RPM/v of 1000 or less with somewhere between 300 and 500 Watts I would think - whats the All Up Weight of the Beastie?

Josip Vrandecic -Mes19/09/2014 19:41:48
2993 forum posts
260 photos

Hello Mike and welcome....... if you do not try... you'll never know....beer

Cheers

Jo

Roy Mundy21/09/2014 23:32:57
453 forum posts

Hi Mike, welcome to the forum.

good luck with your build, I will watch with great interest.

I use mainly PVA it doesn't give off any fumes, has a really strong bond and gives you time to get everything into position and lined up. The only down side is you have to give it plenty of time to dry. But at least you can go through the next steps of the build, have a read up and get the next phase sorted, whilst having a brew wink you can even have a couple of bits on the go at the same time, work on the wings whilst the fuselage is drying.

good luck

Roy M

Countryboy22/09/2014 00:22:58
116 forum posts
30 photos

I found the AUW at last. It is approx. 5 lb or 2.26 kg inclusive of 10cc Brown Junior petrol engine. At least, that's what it says on the plans. Advice on substitute brushless motor would be much appreciated.

Work will commence soon and I shall start a comedy thread build log for the benefit of the critics.! I've always been game for a laugh.

Please be aware that I never ( well, hardly ever ) take offence so all remarks are welcome

Mike ( does this mean I need to buy a camera or can you all just imagine the mess ? ).

Edited By Countryboy on 22/09/2014 00:24:35

Cuban822/09/2014 07:53:43
2866 forum posts
1 photos
Posted by Biggles' Elder Brother - Moderator on 19/09/2014 18:37:05:

If you have chest problems avoid CA (superglue) it can get a bit fumey. Some folks still use Balsa Cement - nowt wrong with that - but again it can be a bit fumey.

I'd suggest either PVA (white wood glue) or slightly better Aliphatic resin - so called yellow wood glue. The only advantage of the latter is that it sands better. Both are pretty well odour free.

Re the electric power - I don't know power set up off the top of my head for that model - someone might do - so let's start with do you know what the all up weight is likely to come out at?

BEB

I'm not keen on Cyano fumes myself, but this stuff has zero odour and sticks more or less anything to anything. Available in different thicknesses to suit all jobs.

**LINK**

Edited By Cuban8 on 22/09/2014 07:56:55

Dave Hopkin22/09/2014 08:33:02
3672 forum posts
294 photos

I am a little confused, you said you had the Standard Buccaneer (span 66" - that's rated for .35 2 Stroke or .40 4 Stroke, yet you mentions a .60 (10cc) engine on the plans - that would go in the Super Buccaneer (span 90", yet an all up weight of 5lb seems a little on the light side for a 90" bird..... can we clarify which model you have

Putting a .60 equivalent in a plane rated for a .30 would probably make for a highly "interesting" maiden albeit a short lived one methinks!

The "standard" rule of I'm all thumbs is 75-100 Watts per lb which would give you around the 400W motor (other formula/opinions are available)

So I would personally be looking at something giving me that sort of power on a 3S LiPo

If you are on a tight budget, chargers that are limited to a max cell count of 3 or less are much cheaper than chargers that can do the much larger cells - however that might be false economy in the long run......

Countryboy22/09/2014 08:50:42
116 forum posts
30 photos

Dave, I can only tell you what is on the plan, It says very clearly "Brown Junior 10cc petrol " I haven't a clue what one of those babies is and all efforts to contact Ben Buckle have met with a dead end ( ? ). I am assured by Colin Buckle that this is correct. I can take a photo of the plan to post if you want. It also mentions 2.5 - 3.5cc diesel was installed later. Could it be that it was changed for the reasons you give? I would prefer it if this model lasted more than a few minutes so please feel free to make any suggestions that you think may help me.

Mike

Dave Hopkin22/09/2014 09:02:02
3672 forum posts
294 photos

Ok, Mike, whats the wingspan that should tell us which one you have - according to my mate Mr Google the Brown Junior 10cc engine is/was a US engine dating back to the 1930's imported by Stuart Turner so comparing its power output to a modern 10cc engine isn't going to help us!!! The comment that a 2.5 - 3.5cc diesel was used later on confirms that face we don't want a equivalent of a modern 10cc engine in it......

Countryboy22/09/2014 09:24:27
116 forum posts
30 photos

wingspan is 66 inches in old money !!

img_0002.jpg

Edited By Countryboy on 22/09/2014 09:31:18

Dave Hopkin22/09/2014 09:38:08
3672 forum posts
294 photos

Ok, that's the standard Buc..... so we are back to the weight of 5lb

I would be looking at something like this....

The PPPO-3536-910 (first in the list) **LINK**

910Kv and 470w should be ample on a 3S

But wait till others give their opinion before ordering!!!!

Steve Hargreaves - Moderator22/09/2014 09:43:44
6744 forum posts
191 photos

It sounds like we are in Junior 60 territory here Mike.

Put "Junior 60" into the search box & you'll find loads of threads on building & electrifying one (if that's your intended power source.....)

If you are going to power it with batteries I think you would be well advised to decide on a power train early on in the build. The Buccaneer will have been designed for IC but will need modifying for electric power....in particular you'll need to decide where to put the battery & modify the structure to suit. Not difficult but it will be a deviation from the plan & will probably be much easier if you physically have the battery, ESC & motor to hand.....

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
CML
Wings & Wheels 2019
Slec
electricwingman 2017
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us