By continuing to use this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Find out more
Forum sponsored by:
Forum sponsored by CML

What did you learn with?

All Topics | Latest Posts

Search for:  in Thread Title in  
Andrew Cade21/09/2014 10:11:27
7 forum posts
Hey, just wondering what everyone learnt with? Im new and just looking around at RTF models.

Im interested in the Apprentice S with SAFE from eflite and also the FMS Cessna 182 MKII
ken anderson.21/09/2014 10:16:52
8557 forum posts
776 photos

hello Andrew-I learnt with a good old yamamoto made by MFA.......poor thing was reduced to a wreck on a regular basis ..... anyone wanting to start from square one-- now will be hard pushed to find a better model than a ' Rising Star' .....one of the better models for a complete beginner......forget about foam and electric......a high wing trainer complete with an IC motor is the way to go...to success

ken Anderson ne....1...... success dept.

mightypeesh21/09/2014 10:25:51
681 forum posts
892 photos

Hi Andrew. I 'self taught' myself on an original Apprentice that had the dx5 with it, and cannot recommend it enough. The plane was great quality and easy to repair. The first time I flew I was so amazed that I forgot to twiddle those stick things! - Duh, and despite my flying site being a ploughed farmers field so I could only hand launch she still lives today. She is battered and battle scarred from glueing, with a fair amount of duct tape for luck, but is still great fun in high winds for chucking around at the club I now belong to. I would also recommend a Sim - I have Phoenix - to get the hang of orientation type stuff.

Good luck, Simon

Lorenz Mueller21/09/2014 10:31:58
67 forum posts
11 photos

My wife and myself started ages ago with Graupner's Dandy. A few years ago my wife's mother wanted to start too, and she did - using a quite battered Multiplex Easy Star. It took loads more beating, but it still flies of a sort. She's now progressed to the Easy Glider, Mini Mag and if she feels really well even the AcroMaster. If you want to do it all by yourself there's hardly a plane that flies as well and easily, takes more beating and needs no more than a few bottles of cyano to continue flying.

Lorenz

Dave Hopkin21/09/2014 10:32:40
3672 forum posts
294 photos

Pfffffffffffttttt Nowt wrong with electric unless you happen to like any of these: prop bite, car covered in oil, stinking fuel, being deafened, spending 20 mins kneeling on soggy ground cursing at a carb,

Dave Hopkin.... sarcasm dept

Seriously, the Apprentice is a decent plane, suffers in the wind due to its light weight my main moan is the length of time it takes to get replacements for the sacrificial engine mounts which I break with monotonous regularity!!!!

Kevin Fairgrieve21/09/2014 11:08:34
1622 forum posts
2902 photos

This.

cosmos my first trainer (2).jpg

Well it lasted 4 flights anyway.

Then got a "bitsa" trainer (bits of three different planes mashed together). Lasted a little longer. Then a Ripmax Trainer40.

Kev

kev

ben goodfellow 121/09/2014 11:13:03
1069 forum posts
41 photos

precedent hi boy and rather poor mds 40 gold to say the least . i beleive these foamy (i call them toy grade) planes offer people false hope , classic high wing trainer electric or ic is the way.. fly low

Plummet21/09/2014 11:14:22
1414 forum posts
41 photos

Started with a Irvine Tutor for a few flights. Then got a Prangster, and I never flew the Tutor again. (Gave it away a few months ago.)

Plummet

roger graves21/09/2014 12:21:42
150 forum posts

Kamco Kadet with OS 30 on 3 function. (a proper trainer)

Jolly Roger super again OS 30 on 4 function.

then the holy grail Gangster 63 with Merco 61.

Rod Parsonage21/09/2014 13:07:59
23 forum posts

Late sixties. Graupner UglyStick .K&B 40. Simprop radio. First and only flight less than 10 seconds.

Do not do this.

Mark a21/09/2014 13:15:03
321 forum posts
3 photos

I bought a ARTF Wot 4 before I had flown joined my local club my instructor set the model up turned down all the throws and after a dozen flights I went solo. 2 years on I still have the Wot 4 and I've set it up for maximum performance and its a hoot to fly.

Mark.

Chris Barlow21/09/2014 14:19:12
1904 forum posts
1308 photos

Probably pointless to what you're asking but I started on my own in the late 80's with a 2 channel glider on a running tow launch across a golf course! blush (engines & RC gear was expensive for a teenager with no paper round! )

Learnt a bit more with a 2 channel diesel powered Blackburn 1912 monoplane! Again on my own and it went down a few times too!

A few planes, gliders and many years later I started again with a Seagull Boomerang and a local club but I can't really say I learned to fly with it since I was already competent at RC flying but I did learn the "other" stuff you get from flying with people & with more safety involved!

Glenn Stratton21/09/2014 14:24:43
284 forum posts
15 photos

Flair Cub (foam wing, to get airborne quickly!) Saito 40s 4stroke, Fleet radio.

20130819_111632.jpg

Still got both 15yrs on, Cub on its 2nd undercarridge, vac nose replaced with balsa, and now guided by Hitec Aurora.

Andrew76721/09/2014 18:31:46
809 forum posts
4 photos

When i came back in the nineties,i started with a Precedent Hi-Fly 2ch glider. Then moved on to a Thunder Tiger 2000 with an O.S 46LA. Took my A test,over a decade later with an Arising Rang (Boomerstar???...Take your pick). It was cobbled.....err.....i mean skillfully put together from a broken Boomerang wing and a copied Arising Star fuselage (We're not mean in Yorkshire......Just careful!) with a 4250/800,a 60amp esc and a 4s pack.As others have said, get a .40 size built up trainer. Choose your power source,either i.c. or electric, neither is better than the other except possibly for cleanliness.....Go Fly!!......and good luck.teeth 2

Andrew

Andrew Cade21/09/2014 18:33:08
7 forum posts
Thanks guys, some great suggestions.

What would you advise now? Either Elec, nitro or petrol, 4ch prefered.
Gary Manuel21/09/2014 18:53:08
2196 forum posts
1540 photos

Built my own Flair Cub from basic kit with built up wings. Futaba servos and OS46LA.

Learnt to fly using buddy box about 7 years ago.

I have just sold the model on and am teaching someone else to fly using the same model.

I still feel very attached to it and it still flies great.

avtur21/09/2014 18:53:13
883 forum posts
20 photos
Posted by Chris Barlow 1 on 21/09/2014 14:19:12:

Probably pointless to what you're asking but I started on my own in the late 80's with a 2 channel glider on a running tow launch across a golf course! blush

Me too!

Except it we used a bungee.

I started with a Veron Impala, my mate had a Super Impala.

We set up the bungee on a beach near Aberffraw (Angelsey).

Started with gentle straight ahead flights before graduating to pull enough height from the launch to complete a circuit ... once we mastered that we took to the slopes of the Conway Valley ... ah those were the days (1974)

I do remember there was a terrific sense of achievement about it all.

john stones 121/09/2014 19:27:46
11198 forum posts
1507 photos

Ripmax trainer I had given, weighed a bit surprise Enya 19 powered..i learnt how to avoid the dreaded stall very quickly, good trainer though.

John

Morgan Goule21/09/2014 19:29:42
132 forum posts
21 photos

hi Andrew,

I learnt to fly with a homebuild model called an 'ensign' most stable thing I have ever flown & I flew it on a futaba 6ex

Andrew76721/09/2014 19:35:37
809 forum posts
4 photos
Posted by Andrew Cade on 21/09/2014 18:33:08:
Thanks guys, some great suggestions.

What would you advise now? Either Elec, nitro or petrol, 4ch prefered.

Irvine Tutor 40 MK2..... .46 i/c or electric as above. To fly all day with electric you'll need either a charger and 4 batteries or two chargers and three batteries. To be be honest, your initial outlay can be cheaper with i/c but in the long term??.

Andrew

P.S.....Don't skimp on the engine. Better to buy a reliable O.S than a cheapy SC etc..The difference ain't much anyway and reliability is key when you're learning.

All Topics | Latest Posts

Please login to post a reply.

Magazine Locator

Want the latest issue of RCM&E? Use our magazine locator link to find your nearest stockist!

Find RCM&E! 

Support Our Partners
Cambridge Gliding Club
electricwingman 2017
CADMA
Sussex Model Centre
Slec
Wings & Wheels 2019
CML
Advertise With Us
Sarik
Latest "For Sale" Ads
Has home isolation prompted you to start trad' building?
Q: The effects of Coronavirus

Yes - for the first time
 Yes - but Ive bashed balsa before
 No - Ive existing projects on the bench
 No - Im strictly an ARTF person

Latest Reviews
Digital Back Issues

RCM&E Digital Back Issues

Contact us

Contact us