JP Super Tiger Moth (1.98m)
Find more products by J.Perkins
|No. of Reviews||1|
wrote on 10/07/2011
SUPER TIGER MOTH!
Strengths: Scale appearance. Well constructed. Excellent fittings. Large size.
Weaknesses: Contradictory instructions. Itemised packaging apparently abandoned. Location pinpricks for pre-drilled screw holes absent.
Inadequate flying wire assemblies. Easily damaged lite-ply tabs for locating the cabane struts.
Overall: This was my first ever biplane. I chose well. From bags of badly sorted fittings and fasteners, I assembled a beautiful and impressive model. This is the one to turn heads at the club. Most have never heard of the J Perkins Super Tiger Moth. They have now! It flew accurately and powerfully without any trimming whatsoever from the first take-off. I planned an ASP 91FS but decided on an ASP 120FS not for the extra power but for the greater nose weight. In the event I added 13 ozs of lead to the engine bearers. The balance point was recorded at 2 different and widely spaced points in the instructions. Just exactly where is the C of G, and on which wing? The wings on a Tiger Moth are staggered. Take it from me, it s 6-6.5 ins back from the leading edge of the upper wing centre section. Ignore anything to the contrary in the flying section! Before purchase, I needed to know how easy it was to transport this big biplane in an estate car. It's a cinch! (Citroen C5) Just remove 2 bolts holding the tail feathers and position the fin and tailplane alongside the fuselage without detaching the control wires. Remove the 2 plastic wing retaining bolts and the 6 screws holding the cabane assembly. Push the whole fuselage forward on its wheels to clear the wings. The flying wires are left assembled and tensioned. Manoeuvre the wings over the disassembled tail feathers. I can reassemble the model in 10 minutes. This Tiger Moth makes a fabulous sound and is a realistic emotive airborne sight. I bought mine from Inwood at 60 per cent of the RRP (May 2011)
Part 2. I have added this section of my review after flying and handling the model for a month. The method I use for dismantling the model for estate car transport can make the cabane struts vulnerable to snagging. This places a strain on the lite-ply tabs to which the struts are bolted. My solution is to epoxy a 21 swg aluminium faceplate over each side of the wing centre-section which neatly prevents the lite ply from snapping when unexpected leverage is applied to the cabane strut.
My other modification is the insertion of turnbuckles in each flying wire. Without turnbuckles, it is difficult to tighten the flying wires without twisting the wires. The clevises at either end have right hand threads. I have also replaced the supplied clevises. They have a spring keep arrangement which is insubstantial. I found on each landing that a flying wire was detached. My solution was to replace the clevises and use fuel tubing as the reliable keeps. I can now perform aerobatics with the confidence that my wings will not fold.
|Ease of assembly||
|Value for money||